Leaders across Alabama must make a multitude of decisions every day. With a focus on those decisions, coupled with problem solving and change, it just is never simple or easy to be in management. Of course, continuous adjustments must be made on a daily basis for the good and success of the organization. Within every single activity, the leader and employees must be aligned together. Even in times of conflict, things need to be done on time and in the right way. The core values that every leader has to present to everyone are central to what can be done together.
Winning people to the direction that the leader takes is an essential element in both decision making and problem solving. In the Dale Carnegie classic best seller, How to Win Friends and Influence People, Mr. Carnegie put a plan in place that always ensures that leadership can get agreement and that everyone is on the same page.
These following 12 principles really work:
- The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it in the first place.
- Show an honest respect for everyone’s opinion. Never tell someone point blank, “You are wrong.”
- If you are wrong on an issue, admit the mistake quickly and absolutely.
- Always start a conversation in a friendly tone.
- Start every meeting with a closed question where the answer is always yes.
- Let the other person do a great deal of the talking.
- If an idea is discussed, let the other person own the idea.
- Always honestly see every issue from the other person’s point of view.
- Be sympathetic and supportive of other people’s ideas and desires.
- Do business with positive and noble motives.
- Express your ideas with energy and enthusiasm.
- Always ask for justification of an issue and challenge for a clear explanation.
Good leaders support both mission and purpose. It is critical to get others to understand a leader’s position and to support growth and success. If we do it with Carnegie principles, it will always be for the good of everyone.
In association with this article, please click below for additional information about Dale Carnegie of Alabama.
This post is brought to you by the good folks at Dale Carnegie Training of Alabama, providers of professional development and management development courses and information in Huntsville, Alabama. We would love to connect with you on Facebook and Twitter @DaleCarnegieALA
Photo: jzcreationsz, freedigitalphotos.net