There are so many things that can affect leadership on any given day here in Alabama. It is as exciting as it is challenging to manage and lead teams today. With the continuous focus on existence and opportunity, it is up to us to improve every day. Organizations need to be completely on-board and leadership drives that thought down the road of success. It is always the Carnegie Principle of paying attention to the people side of the business that creates the most prosperity. Leaders must L.E.A.R.N. and follow those strategies that make the most sense for the business, its customers, and its suppliers.
L.E.A.R.N. is an acronym for excellence in the following categories:
- Listen: Listening is the most important tool a manager has to assess both climate and culture. Decision making and problem solving are direct variables of listening and information gathering.
- Energize: Passion and energy combine to drive both goals and objectives. Employees notice a commitment to excellence and there is great power in that message.
- Assemble: Teams and meetings have to be productive and must have an agenda focused on day-to-day changes and accomplishments. When process is discussed and documented, it more easily it becomes reality.
- React: Results often happen when you least expect them to happen, and staying ahead of outcomes through sound judgment is at the heart of leadership success.
- Notice: Being aware of every aspect of the business and the competition is certainly no easy task. But understanding the big picture and the role the organization plays in it can mean a much more productive 2012. With everyone on the same page, differences and similarities are more recognizable.
Leaders today certainly have no easy task ahead of them here in Alabama. But the approach is much more simply focused when everyone tries to L.E.A.R.N.
This post is brought to you by the good folks at Dale Carnegie Training of Alabama, providers of professional development and management development courses and information in Huntsville, Alabama. We would love to connect with you on Facebook and Twitter @DaleCarnegieALA
photo credit: enspire.com