“Knowledge is not power until it is applied.” Dale Carnegie
Leadership is a skill that needs daily improvement and continuous growth to move an organization forward. The Carnegie courses here in Alabama really focus on education, information and relationship. As Dale Carnegie suggested decades ago, knowledge is indeed power. Here are nine areas of ineffective managing and leadership style that will hamper success and progress and affect both morale and organizational climate. All can be improved through simple awareness and Carnegie training.
- No Goals and Objectives: Sometimes it is almost as challenging as no goals for employees when goals and objectives are confusing. Clarity is critical.
- Incompetence: As individuals come from the ranks into management and responsible leadership, many are not ready for the acute challenges and the quality of decision-making that is needed in day-to-day activities.
- Focus on Self: On the priority list, it should be all about the employees and the clients.
- Poor Communication: In multi-level organizations, communication can be the biggest problem or the best asset; it depends on how it is steered or funneled across departments.
- Non-Trust: Without trust, leaders create rust and immobility. The best teams are built from trust.
- Never Listening: Without the assessment and the assimilation of critical data, leaders who never listen usually have the shortest of shelf life.
- Missing Deadlines: If things do not get done on time, the whole business model gets out of sync. Meeting objectives is a top priority.
- Mishandling Conflict: Conflict that is mismanaged or ignored just gets worse over time; the more people who are involved in a given conflict the more quickly it must be resolved.
- Not Addressing Lack of Productivity: Although in a work environment, no one is created equal; it is critical to have processes in place to address poor performance. It is not unusual to let things go and hope they go away. The more quickly problems are addressed and solved, the easier it is to move forward.
Indeed, leadership is as complicated as any human skill can be. It is important to remember that we can help get you to increased success; our whole purpose is to serve your organization and be a continued partner as the team grows. We are here for you. Knowledge is indeed power.
This post is brought to you by the good folks at Dale Carnegie Training of Alabama, providers of professional development and management development courses and information in Huntsville, Alabama. We would love to connect with you on Facebook and Twitter @DaleCarnegieALA