As you were growing up, you were taught to “be good.” This usually referred to the way you acted toward other people, and those were probably the most important lessons learned in early life. You have met people in your life that you didn’t really like for various reasons, but the biggest one is usually their negative attitude toward you or the environment at the time of the meeting. In having learned those early lessons, you still treat that other person with respect whether they deserve it or not. That makes you one of the “good” guys or gals.
There is a reason why the good people win, while others seem to stand still in life’s path. They have something that others don’t have.
- Self-Determination – They know what they want in life and are willing to make the necessary changes in order to get it. If you continue to do the same thing every day and you are not getting anywhere, you have to make changes in order to move forward. For example, it gets cumbersome pushing a boulder where ever you go, so push it out of the way. One change can make a big difference.
- Positive Attitude – They have a positive outlook on life, and can find the good in almost any circumstance. To them, the glass is always half full instead of half empty. Learning to have a positive attitude takes a bit of practice, but has many benefits.
- Charisma – Charisma is a “personal magic of leadership arousing loyalty in people.” They have learned how to present themselves to other people in such a way as to create loyalty, allowing them to be good leaders. This is not a trait that you are born with. It is learned as you go through life.
- Persuasion – They know how to get their point across, and persuade others to see things their way. Along with charisma, the art of persuasion makes them good leaders.
- Respect – As mentioned above, they treat everyone with respect. They show consideration for the circumstances of other people while using their positive attitude in handling any situation.
In gaining these skills, you can make the necessary changes in order to get what you want out of life. Not only will your life improve, but you will also be one of the good guys (or gals) that win.
This post is brought to you by the good folks at Dale Carnegie Training of Alabama, providers of professional development and management development courses and information in Huntsville, Alabama. We would love to connect with you on Facebook and Twitter @DaleCarnegieALA.